K-Kore™ Composite Air Plenums and Energy Recovery Plenums
The perfect product to provide years of trouble-free operation, K-Kore Composite Air Plenums and Energy Recovery Plenums use the latest technology in composite construction materials that renders steel construction obsolete. Our patent-pending Fiberglass Reinforced Plastic (FRP) assembly will provide the ultimate in durability and equipment life.
K-Kore plenums are high quality custom designed exhaust systems for commercial, industrial and institutional applications where corrosive environments can rapidly destroy steel equipment. The product is manufactured from high quality reinforced composites that can be engineered to withstand any corrosive environment, from the acidic rain or wastewater treatment plants of industrialized cities to the chemical exhausts of university or hospital laboratories.
Composite materials, once considered futuristic and expensive, are now commonly used for all high-tech manufacturing sectors, from aerospace manufacturing to the automotive industry. Metal construction is considered obsolete in most high-tech industries where any degree of corrosion resistance or longevity is required, and so the engineers at MK Plastics came together with a common purpose of keeping the HVAC industry up to speed with the pace of technological advancements in material design.
Pound per pound, composite construction is stronger, more durable, and significantly more corrosion resistant than coated metal construction. The thermal conductivity is extremely low, allowing a true no-through metal design over the entire depth of the panel, something unachievable with current metal design.
The use of resin-infused fiberglass for marine construction began over 50 years ago in the 1960’s. The actual service life of this material is unknown since there has never been a failure in the industry due to corrosion through exposure to saltwater environments. K-Kore plenum construction uses the same resin-infused fiberglass design that will almost certainly shown no signs of corrosion after 50+ years in the harshest environmental conditions. In the conceivable event that the K-Kore unit outlasts the building in which it is installed, the material can be recycled in an environmentally friendly manner.
Composites are everywhere in the world today. Look up and you might see an airliner from Boeing, Airbus or Bombardier pass overhead, with their high-tech composite bodies allowing greater range, fuel economy and longevity compared to their metal rivals. Sports cars, military vehicles, spacecraft and almost all other high tech construction industries make extensive use of composite construction. The HVAC industry, until now, has been lagging far behind the state of the art. MK Plastics is bringing the construction industry into the 21st century.
- Lightweight construction. Up to 40% weight savings vs. steel construction.
- True no-thru-metal construction throughout the entire cabinet depth.
- Unlimited salt-spray resistance: FRP has over 40 years (and counting) of salt spray exposure with no detrimental effects.
- Corrosion resistance: K-Kore™ Air Plenums are the only products that carry a 50 year expected service life without corrosion in most environments.
- Flame Spread index of less than 25 when tested according to UL 723.
- Acoustic Performance: Tested and certified acoustic performance of the composite skins and cores allows the highest level of acoustic performance. Acoustic software accurately predicts the unit performance based on independently certified results from ASTM E 90 and ASTM C 423.
- K-Kore™ Brochure (PDF)
- K-Kore™ Exhaust Plenum Specification (Word Doc)
- K-Kore™ Energy Recovery Plenum Specification (Word Doc)
MK Plastics is the leading manufacturer of corrosion resistant industrial and commercial blowers, fans, and ventilation systems. Patented in several countries, our products are AMCA Certified for Air and Sound Performance.