Q. I am designing a lab exhaust system and using Strobic fans. What standards, both ASHRAE and otherwise, should I be using as a reference?
A. Below are a list of standards related to laboratories and laboratory ventilation:
- NFPA-45 – Fire Protection for laboratories
- UL 705 – standard for Power Ventilators in accordance with the National Electrical Code and NFPA 70 (electrical safety)
- ANSI Z9.5 – Laboratory ventilation guide
- ASHRAE Laboratory Design Guide
- ANSI / AMCA Standard 204-05 – Balance Quality and Vibration Levels for Fans
- IBC – International Building Code
- ASCE 7-05 – Minimum Design Loads for Building and Other Structures. Seismic design criteria are found here.
- ASHRAE Standard 110 – Testing Laboratory Fume Hoods.
- AMCA 210 – Standard for fan performance testing
- AMCA 260 – Standard for entrained air testing
- AMCA 300 – Standard for fan sound testing
- SMACNA – Duct design standards
Further questions, make sure to Ask Rick.