It’s the buzz. Everyone is asking about ECM Motors and Fans. There are a lot of good reasons to consider them in your HVAC designs. Here are 7.
- High Efficiency: A big advantage of ECM motors is that they are significantly more efficient when compared to AC motors. ECM motors maintain a high level (65 to 75 percent) of efficiency at a variety of speeds. This is not true for AC motors operated on variable frequency drives. As a result, ECMs are cost and energy efficient and can reduce operating costs. In most cases they use from less than one third to one half of the electricity used by traditional induction motors used in HVAC applications.
- Ease of Control: ECMs are DC motors that function using a built-in inverter and a magnet rotor (no external VFD). The motor’s operation is simply controlled by software allowing customers to optimize and integrate the motor, fan and controller with the application. Features like data communications, constant volume control and variable speed control are simple to integrate.
- Low Operating Temperatures: ECM motors’ high efficiency also means that the motors run “cool”, and dramatically reduce the amount of waste heat produced.
- Extended Life: Motor life of the ECM is extended due to its low operating temperature operation. ECMs are also relatively low-maintenance; the use of true ball bearings reduces the need for oiling, and varied start-up speeds reduce stress on mounting hardware. Less components, less trouble.
- Quiet Operation: ECM motors are also quieter than traditional inefficient motors.
- Wider Operating Range: ECM motors also have a wider operating range than traditional induction motors, which means that one ECM motor can replace a number of induction motor models. In this way, the number of models required by a typical customer is significantly decreased, which decreases and simplifies inventory.
- Compact footprint: ECM motors have a reduced footprint. They provide a significant savings in design layout for units.
Call us for more information or a product demonstration on ECM Motors & Fans.